Thursday, July 30, 2009

Glacier National Park Day Two--Part Two


Keegan and I went down the forested path looking for the rest of the family. I could hear nothing but birds and nearby wildlife. So far, no bears, but no family. I realized that we were too quiet and so I began a little song.

I was wondering how near the next bear was. I noticed my feet were not willing to move forward. I was standing still, my song becoming quieter. I turned around and headed out of there. My stride was quick and my song, too. I walked for about a thousand feet when I heard something familiar: kids! And they were MINE!

Liam came racing toward me and he was as loud as usual. I was really glad for it. Liam is our loudest kid with no volume control. On a scale of 1-10, he is stuck on 11. I was suddenly covered with kids.

"Mom!" they all shouted, "What's down there?"
"I was looking for all of you and thought you were ahead of me. I got scared and turned around and here you all are!" I was releaved thinking we could turn and go back to the van now. They all looked down the path and Liam shrieked with excitement and took off where I had just returned from. Everyone but me followed.

They didn't look back and now I was stuck alone again with my dumb camera. I quickly got my legs together and started after them.

Damn family. Always in need of an adventure.

So Liam and Fionn were singing some loud goofy songs about fat chickens and bear poop and laughing their heads off. A few hikers passed us by from the opposite direction. They all appeared intact and not frightened so I figured that the path ahead posed no threat.

We came along where the waterfalls and streams made another decent into a waterfall of about 50 ft. It lead into another crystal clear stream of icy cold water. A manmade log bridge consisting of an enormous log split in half and a rail crossed it for hikers. Of course my kids danced and jumped around going across it. There was no railing on one side and only wide enough for one person. We made it across.

Now, my kids and husband will keep hiking until it is dark, and then keep hiking. The sun was getting low and I knew that would trigger different animals to get thier own bedtime routine going. I wanted out of there. We had too much bear bait with us. (five kids with chewey centers) So we began our turnaround to head back.

I have to mention the fitness of the people we ran into of all ages. It is proof that no matter ones age, fitness can be acheived with activity. Husbands and wives in their 70s were muscle bound, well-balanced on their feet and healthy.

We made our way out of the forest and were back in people land again. Relief.

Glacier is definately my favorite National Park. Gorgeous and wild beyond belief. That night, Sean read some literature back in camp. It gave facts that the area we were in had the highest bear concentration of all United States. I felt suddenly sick and grabbed a beer. Releaved we were all safe and sound, all my kids with their chewy centers unharmed, enjoying the camp fire and making conversation.

If you haven't gone out camping yet this year, get out there.

Go outside and play!

No comments:

Post a Comment