Monday, July 6, 2009

Awaking to Beauty

The drive through Minnesota and South Dakota was a long stretch of endless cornfields. Beautiful in its own right, the expansive sky was accompanied by a dark, forboding wall of clouds almost as dark as night. Sean continued westward and together we watched the storm approach. The children stared ahead and wondered if a tornado was forming. My husband, unfamiliar with these kinds of cloud formations looked the sky over trying to decide if we should seek a shelter.

We entered into the storm wall like a child enters a haunted house. It was within feet that the force surrounded us. Nothing could be seen through the front windshield and wipers were useless. I turned to see how the children were taking the deafening rain and there was Liam, laughing and screaming, feeling the thrill of it all. It was like another Niagara Falls boat ride to him.

"Tornado!" I yelled.
"WHAT?" Sean suddenly yelled and quickly looked up close in the front windshield, looking with great effort back and forth.
"Just joking!" I said laughing.

It was fun to watch him a little annoyed and embarrassed at my stupid joke. It was to be a long ride so I was going to make the most fun out of it. Around 1 am we pulled into a rest stop and stayed the night. We carried each child from the van into the camper and put them to bed. I couldn't wait for morning to see where we were. I could tell we were getting closer to the Badlands.

1 comment: