Saturday, July 4, 2009

Day Five -- Our Final Departure From Wisconsin Dells

The weather has been in the low 100s. All of us carry frozen bottles of water and drink them as they melt. It is just too hot to stand in any line. Liam woke up late and stumbled into the kitchen for some breakfast. I casually placed a bowl of cereal in front of him, which he quietly ate. Everyone else was outside. After a few moments, he turned to me and said, "Here's my bowl, mom." I turned to get it from his hands and looked down at him with sudden alarm.

"Woa! Liam! Holy Cow!" I almost screamed.

"What, mom?" he curiously looked up at me.

"Your face! Your FACE!"

There Liam stood. A giant chipmunk, face so swollen he looked like he was storing over 100 nuts in his cheeks. His eyes were slits, his nose was a button in a massive pillow of roundness. I could barely recognize him. The sun and heat mixed with a severe overdose of waterproof sunscreen caused him to swell.

I called out the camper to Sean to quick have a look at him. Fionn awoke to see what the commotion was and came to the kitchen. I looked at Fionn and shrieked, "Oh my God! YOU TOO?!!!"

We were to drive to Minnesota to visit my relatives. Two of my kids weren't even recognizable.

Liam held a mirror and cried, "Am I going to look like this forever?"

"No, no," I assured him, handing him an icepack.

"Just a day or two," my voice starting to crack--holding back the sick, unexplainable laughter that I get when someone suffers from something absurd.

The drive to Minneapolis was one of me constantly checking back on my two fat-faced boys and forcing a calm smile across my face. It was a long ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment