Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Malibu Barbie and the Redwoods


I perhaps have not mentioned the constant headaches of which I suffer. I live on pain killers and am sometimes disabled by them. Much of it is contributed to hormones and some to stress, but Migrain Excedrin is always part of my morning ritual.

So I was laid out in the second row watching the sand dunes and the new appearance of Crescent City. The ocean mist was heavy and the fog shorted the coastal views. For August, it felt like November. My head lay sideways bumping along the backseat while my eyes peered open now and then to take a glimpse of scenery.

I felt my body sit up when I captured a glittering female's ass riding past my window with the words, "Malibu Barbie" sparkling as she and her colleague road their bikes along Highway 101 toward California.

"Did you see that?" I laughed up front to my husband.
"Yeah!" he turned and gave me a smile.
"Drive up along side of them! I want a better look!"

I had to see what a female bicycling tour team looked like. I had secretly wanted to do the exact thing, but never had a female partner.

We pulled up along side and I watched their cadence and inspected their level of fitness. These girls were made up of granola and unshaven legs. I frowned with puzzlement wondering why the claimed name of Malibu Barbie with glitter. These girls resembled Ken dolls more than Barbie. I shrugged and laughed it off.

"Good for them!" I said after a moment, "Glad to see their freedom and humorous outlook."

We saw them many times throughout the day. It was impressive how much distance they were able to cover, still laughing and talking with each other, eating snacks and sipping from a water bottle as they rode.

We came along the Redwoods and pulled off to the side. They were within inches of the highway and their girth was impossible to measure. We took some nearby paths and walked along the understory of native ferns and brush. The filtered sunlight through the moist coastal air gave the forest a mysterious and surreal appearance.

We spent two days camping and hiking through the Redwoods. The native Indians thought of the place as haunted. I thought it simply beautiful beyond description.
Take time with someone special and get out for a walk in the woods. Find some glitter and write your name. Wear it on your ass, if so inclined. Everyone needs to feel a little special now and then!

1 comment:

  1. Another masterpiece at creating vivid pictures and experiences with words. I feel like I was there with you.

    ReplyDelete